Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Hostel for People with Money!

So, I've seen Sandals ads since I was a kid. And, it all looks very romantic in their commercials. And, actually, it is. But, it is also really really funny.

First, there are couples everywhere. And A LOT of people are on their honeymoon. Which is sweet. But also, honeymoons can be a little awkward for people who have never lived together.

Second, there are couples playing games everywhere. There are common areas with activities like billiards, and ping pong, and chess and checkers, etc. So far, W and I have realized that we no longer remember how to play checkers.

Third, the tourists are very friendly. And, despite Josh's warning to me, no one seems to be friendly because they are secretly swingers. Instead, we are surrounded with a lot of couples, our age-ish, who are really friendly.

Fourth, the male-staff members are extremely kind and gracious and helpful. They speak in the beautiful Jamaican dialect (and it seems that this is not just for show because I listen intently to them talk to each other). But the female-staff members are kinda grumpy. Okay: really grumpy. Which makes W try to make them smile with his ridiculous comments and jokes. Which only works on them some of the time.

Fifth, when red-stripe on tap is all-included, my husband gets tired by mid-day and requires a nap. Which is what he is doing. Which is why I am typing this.

Anyway, I am finally getting to the point of this post: after wandering around the resort with a bunch of friendly peers playing random games in the common areas, Willie realized: we are at a hostel for people with money! I might add: we are at a hostel for monogamous people with money! And, since we actually paid for this trip with AMEX points, I can't help but look everyone up and down and wonder: so how did you pay for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment